Monday 12 October 2015

HOW I WILL FACILITATE THE CREATION OF A CHAPTER 6 LEADER


Introduction

Leadership is essential for business, government and any other institution.  It is an important factor for making an organization successful.  Good leadership in an organization transforms potential into reality.   Leadership involves discipline, integrity, focus and handwork.  Our ability to mature as leaders is rooted in our ability to grow as persons and to be role models to others.  To become a leader it is fundamental that one goes through a process of personal transformation and growth. 

Facilitation of Creation Chapter 6 leaders

As a leader, my primary responsibility would involve accomplishment of tasks for the organization.  This would be through determining vision, mission and objectives of the organization, planning necessary activities to hold in achieving objectives, clarifying responsibilities and accountability, maintaining channels of communication, developing cooperation and establishing control points to keep the performance of the organization on track.

Self-Assessment

It is important for me to know my strengths and weaknesses.  This is important because it will enable me to improve on areas of weaknesses to become strengths.  I have to understand what it means to be a leader and act like a leader.  Like in government office, in my understanding, before taking oath of office, it is critical to understand one-self and to know really well who I am, what I stand for, and how I can become an effective leader.  This is because it has to do with spirituality. Am I ready to lead and to avoid any inward flaw in me?  Reference is made on Article 74 Third Schedule under the Act of Parliament.  I have to adhere to the code of moral values in all business dealings with truthfulness and doing what is right. 

Responsive to the People’s needs or Service to the People: 

Being perceptive will help me be more effective in knowing the needs of my team. It will be easier for me to build a strong team when I know the values and goals of each individual.  I have to inspire a shared vision, encourage and enable them to act.  Article 73 Clauses (1) and (2), is about discipline, respect, integrity, decision–making, honesty and accountability which are some of the major qualities that a leader must possess. The Chapter 6 of Kenya Constitution discourages corruption, selfishness and nepotism.  A leader has to serve people with honesty and commitment.  A leader has to be a decision-maker and one who can resolve conflicts.
  
Knowing my organization

To be an effective leader, I have to know the organization’s overall purpose and goals, and the agreed-upon strategies to achieve the goals.  I should know how my team fits into the big picture of the organization and the part they play in helping the organization to grow and thrive. Full knowledge of my organization is vital to becoming an effective leader.  Article 80 requires the Parliament to enact legislation that will effect and establish procedures and mechanisms for the effective administration of Chapter 6. This is for the purpose of promoting ethics, integrity and servant leadership among state officers, and providing for the extension of the application of certain provisions of Chapter 6 of the Constitution and the Act to public officers.

Conclusion

Chapter 6 of the constitution of Kenya endeavors to uphold and restore the rule of law in Kenya by providing guidelines that govern on leadership and integrity.  Article 73 advocates for a leadership that upholds personal integrity, objectivity and impartiality.  Our country needs leadership that is selfless, promotes public integrity and supports the spirit of the law.

As a potential or a leader, I will make myself visible and volunteer for greater responsibility, especially for assignments that will enhance my skills on leadership and sharpen my knowledge for the benefit of my organization and myself.


Susan Akinyi
NGC Leader, Oct 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment